The village is notable for the surname “Hodges” and all the families may be traced back to one man in the 1700’s.
The Hodges Family and their Dairy Business
The first person to be killed in an accident at the local brickworks was William Hodges in 1909.
He left a widow who was pregnant and six children, his wife Eliza did not marry again but brought up her family as a single parent, some of the children worked before and after school to earn money, two, Arthur and Richard started their business from the family home in Hog End.
Above is Richard Hodges and his wife Eva, after their marriage in 1935, in the farmyard at the Poplars from where they started their Dairy business, delivering to people in Twyford and the School.
Below is an invoice for the domed bucket they are holding and also an invoice from Arthur Hodges for the work that he did for his brother adapting a building to become a dairy in 1936 this shows the variety of work that he would undertake.
In 1937 Richard Hodges had the opportunity to take on the tenancy of a farm after the death of Eva’s Uncle, just in the next parish of Steeple Claydon, so he moved, continued to milk and sold the milk to the Milk Marketing Board.
Arthur Hodges and his wife Olive took on the tenancy of the Poplars along with a milk round. In 1950 Arthur bought the farm, Charndon Grounds, which was just in the Marsh Gibbon Parish, having farmed it for some years. They expanded the Guernsey dairy herd to cope with the increasing demand for door step milk delivery as other village dairy farmers stopped milk production, eventually delivering to other villages and outlying houses but ceased the delivery business in 2012.
Albert was born in Twyford in 1881
He left school aged 10 and went to work for Mr Hedges at Hillesden for 3/- for a 6-day week. After 6 years he went to work on the Great Central Line between Calvert and Finmere and in 1900 he started work for Mr Itters at Calvert Brickworks until he retired in 1950. Most of his career at Calvert was as a kiln foreman.
Albert married Minnie Hall in August 1900 and they celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary in August 1960 with a telegram from Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II. They had 6 sons and 4 daughters; the sons were, in order of age, Leonard, Joe, Tom, Harold, Kenneth and Victor. All the sons worked at the brickworks as burners.
Albert received a long service medal from the Brickworks to mark his 50 years with the company.
Albert’s wife Minnie died in 1962 and Albert died in 1965 aged 84.