The Calvert Brickworks was opened in 1900 by Arthur Werner Itter, a brickmaker from the Peterborough area.
The brickworks were demolished in 1991 and turned into a housing estate and a nature reserve. See below photos of the demolition.
Death of William Hodges
In 1909, William Hodges died in an accident at Calvert Brickworks, the first fatality on the site.
He was loading a clay barrow when it tipped and the handle of the barrow knocked him down a 10 ft slope where he suffered severe damage to his neck and paralysis from which he subsequently died at home the following day.